[hdt] New disk detection: feedback

Erwan Velu erwan.velu at free.fr
Tue Apr 21 01:44:50 PDT 2009

[...]
>Does anyone have feedback on it? hpa requested MiB values for partitions
>length and erwan a more granular CLI (show disk 0x80 instead of show
>disk listing all disks).

To be more precise, the amount of data we can find on a given disk is
important.
Displaying everything on the first level of commands could be flooding
the console.
So I think, it could be better having a summary when using "hdt> show
disk" or "disk> show" commands.

Then, for a detailed view, using a "disk> show disk <id>" could be nice.
This allow users to select disks they want to see detailed information.
The game is "what is really important in the summary" ;o)

>Any other take? There is a *LOT* of stuff we could display about disks
>(e.g. dumping the entire EDD structure). Any special request?

It's not directly related to the disk's stuff but this item is starting
to be annoying.
Your screenshot is pretty clear about that problem :
http://pub.mouraf.org/syslinux/disks-menu-2.png
Our menu layout isn't useful for displaying information properly.

I opened an item in the roadmap for addressing that. I added it to 0.3.3.
Murali (the menu author) said it should be quite easy to move the main
menu as a top bar.

Does anyone on the list is interested in adding a new layout in the menu
system ?
It would be a great improvement for HDT and any other syslinux tool
requiring mass display.

Erwan,