[hdt] HDT 0.3.1

Erwan Velu erwan.velu at free.fr
Thu Apr 23 10:46:31 PDT 2009

Hello !

The first public release of the newest 0.3.x branch is out !
HDT 0.3.1 is now available for download :
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)#Download

Since the last official release (0.2.7 in syslinux 3.75) here come the
main changes :

1°) A huge work from pam to rework the CLI.
The code is far more scalable and easy to use for developers to extend it.

Regarding, the user point of view, we now have
- a bash-like history (using up/down arrow)
- a bash-like completion (using tab)
- press F1 to reach help

The new CLI is really increasing user experience, hope you'll like it.
Don't hesitate to give your feedback on it. Pam & I would love it ;o)

2°) More coherence in screen management
Many of you reported unexpected screen cleaning or "press any key to
continue" message.
This release will improve this screen management. Everything will behave
more "normally" now.
Please tell us if you found more unexplained behavior.

3°) Modules.pcimap usage with isolinux
A common problem with earlier version of hdt were about adding a
modules.pcimap on an iso which implements hdt.
In such case, due to the "famous" file 8.3 format, hdt wasn't able to
load modules.pcimap. A workaround was to override the filename using a
"modules=modules.pci" append to hdt.
Since 0.3.1, hdt will automatically try to find the proper file name.
The modules= append is no more necessary unless you use a different
filename ;o)

4°) Removing multiple spaces
Some hardware components (cpu, dmi, ..) reports some strings with a lot
of multiple spaces.
To improve user's display, hdt is now reducing multiple consecutive
spaces into a single one.
I.e: the cpu display would be far easier to read.
If you found on your hardware, some devices reporting multiple 'stupid'
spaces, tell us where and we'll fix it.

5°) Adding VPD support
HDT is now featuring VPD support (Virtual Product Data).
Very few hardware sounds to implement it but some users request it.
Its available from the main "VPD" menu in the graphical mode in with the
"vpd> show"  command (CLI).

I hope you'll like this new release, 0.3.2 is on the way and will
feature mainly :
- improved disk detection
- bug fixes

To follow our roadmap, please read :