[hdt] Serial

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:22:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Erwan <erwan at seanodes.com> wrote:
> Russell Miller wrote:
>>
>> Hey, this sounds like a good project and I would like to roll it out
>> to the 3,000 servers I manage.
>
> Waow \o/ That's good to ear.
>
> If it can be discussed, what kind of configuration requires such amount of
> nodes ?
>
> Could you just describe why HDT is usefull for your architecture ?
> That information would help us understanding how people are using HDT.

I work for a leading internet-based company that has quite a few
million unique visitors a month.  Sometimes when getting a new server
or are bringing a server up we want to know what the specs of the
machine are (or verify), but in order to do so now we have to
kickstart it.  We already have a PXE based system set up that can do
automated centos kickstarts, memtest86, and even windows kickstarts,
and adding this kind of thing in seems like something that will save
us a bit of time when we really need it.

All we'd have to do is change a field in our asset management
database, and restart the server, once deployed.

> I would be more than happy having your feedback about our tool and what
> could be improved/added.

And I'll be happy to give it to you once I get some traction on this internally.

thanks,

--Russell