[hdt] HDT 0.3.6 tests on various systems

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jan 25 07:50:42 PST 2010

Hi Erwan,

I finally reviewed the latest HDT 0.3.6 on a few systems (IBM x3650, hs20
and VMware 3.5 guests).

= IBM x3650

On the IBM x3650 (using a remote web-based KVM solution) the window
blanking (cleaning a window with black before rewriting it with
gray/blue content) is very noticable. It would be less of a problem when
the window would not be cleared (or at least not with black :-))

The IBM x3650 show 40 PCI devices, everything looked fine. For the memory,
you show a box with the different banks. It could be more useful to
include in that view also the size of each bank. That way you have an
overview of what banks have DIMMS inserted and how much. (without having
to go into each of the 12 banks.

If I go to the information of e820, the window appears too low on the
screen (I can only see the border and one line). For the e801
underneath, the window does not appear properly (in fact I only see 1 line
of the window on the status bar).

In the Motherboard window the Type says in black color: BAD INDEX, but the
line above says Location: Attached to System Planaer, Rear 8 (with 8 also
in black color).

Also, it would be nice if an Exit could redraw the original screen (or at
least show the, in our case, text that was there before). Not sure if
syslinux has the infrastructure to do this easily.

If you go from the menu, to the CLI and then back to the menu, the Exit
menu item brings me back to the CLI. Which might be the intention, but it
confused me (I expected to go to syslinux again in this case). From te CLI
I did go to the syslinux prompt, so there is something not right there.

= IBM HS20

Everything worked fine.

= VMware ESX 3.5 guest

If I look at the details of the disk, I see lots of garbage characters for
the Host Bus/Interface field (corrupting other lines in that window, like
Sectors, MBR and partitions).

Everything else looked fine. The refresh of the windows using VMware's
client is also noticable.

Kind regards,