[hdt] How about API calls?

Beren Scott berenscott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 01:43:10 PDT 2020

This project has interested me for a very long time, and for a number of
reasons. My current use requirement causes me to create my own linux image
using buildroot, and then use a json syntax Curl to my couchdb api. What am
I trying to do? Well, in the testing of equipment in an ITAD setting, what
happens is, we collect recycled equipment, and we want to put each item on
a desk and network boot it. We run with an automated setup, where each
network booted machine loads up and uploads to the database server it's
hardware information.

The reason this project interests me, is that, let's be honest, booting up
a linux kernel for each item takes time. But, the biggest issue I face with
this is compatibility, no matter how I edit the linux kernel, I cannot make
this work for every ethernet device. There are multiple conflicting
drivers, and the need to constantly update the project with new kernels and
new drivers. Then we have another issue, of different cpu types and legacy
vs UEFI, which is a big problem.

Okay, so, let's say I have a way to do all of this in a c32 file? Well,
then you have something big. If I can have something which runs instantly
such as this, and uses some form of API calls back to the server. I
understand that this project has been kind of dead for awhile right? Well,
maybe it just needs a modern day update? I'd like to take a good look at
what is possible.

Beren