[klibc] klibc insmod for recent kernels

Arnd Bergmann arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:31:34 +0100

On Tuesday 24 December 2002 20:53, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 24, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@bergmann-dalldorf.de> wrote:
>  >Do you have any plans to convert the rest of the module-init-tools as
>  >well?
>
> Not really, unless somebody thinks this would be useful. I can't see
> why, the other programs are big and complex and should not be needed at
> boot time. I see no point in using rmmod or lsmod, and depmod and
Well, depmod is probably never needed in an initramfs, but rmmod and
lsmod are useful if you want to drop the user into ash when something
goes wrong.

> modprobe should be used when the file system is being built.
>
> And the programs would still be very big and with a lot of features not
> needed at early boot time.
I may be wrong, but I always assumed that modprobe is needed because
there are a lot of drivers that call request_module() during initialization.
It is also needed for module aliases when they are working as planned.

>  >Since the module-init-tools are still changing rapidly (at least
> No, insmod is not supposed to change, at least for the parts I left.
Right. And having insmod in klibc is of course necessary because
almost everyone wants to have it in their initramfs.

	Arnd <><