[klibc] klibc insmod for recent kernels

H. Peter Anvin hpa@zytor.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 17:40:08 -0800

Rusty Russell wrote:

>>Perl, for example, only invokes /bin/sh if the command presented to it
>>includes shell special operators (like your && above.)  Another variant
>>-- which is probably better -- is to simply make the user make use of
>>"sh -c" if that's what they really want to do.
>
> Well, those options both suck.  The first is a bogus optimization and
> extra complexity for no reason (in this case), and the second is
> almost as silly.

Come to think about it, the former optimization really belongs in the
system() function of the C library.  This makes it a klibc issue and not
a modutils issue.  I do, firmly, believe that /bin/sh shouldn't be
required in initramfs.

>>and that would be much better handled by giving modprobe a way to
>>introduce dependencies directly, right?)
>
> "Better"?  modules.conf has seven ways of doing this: above, below,
> pre-install, pre-remove, post-install, post-remove, install and
> remove.

Right, it was above or below I was thinking of.  I don't really use
these more esoteric features much, although I had to learn about them at
one point to make ip conntrack do the right thing.

	-hpa