[klibc] Re: klibc.bkbits.net is up

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Jul 9 06:35:07 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 09:57, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> OK, I'll proceed there. I have enough systems here that I can test the
> DHCP/nfsroot stuff you've already done.

Cool.

> I know that the implementation you've built already is pretty
> "basic"... just enough to move the functionality out of the kernel.

Pretty much, yes.  There's just enough goop in place to build and extend
a single monolithic kinit binary, which was my goal.

> Are you planning on extending it to, for example, be hotplug-driven,
> be configurable through the kernel config process, etc.?

There's already some level of Kconfig integration for kinit itself.

Beyond that, I could maybe see integrating diethotplug into the klibc
tree, but that's somewhat low on my interest list for now.

Once you get to that level of detail, you're likely to want to have a
"real" initramfs filesystem containing /bin/sh, some scripts, and
broken-out binaries rather than one monolithic kinit, and I think the
chances of ever getting that level of integration into the kernel tree
are ... well ... snowball, hell, that sort of thing.

> I think that
> should be the eventual goal, but obviously getting klibc and some sort
> of early userspace into the kernel tree is the first priority.

Indeed.

	<b