[klibc] Early-userspace development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming@cox.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:59:14 -0700

OK guys, I've been communicating with Greg KH and I think I'm ready to tackle
getting the early userspace stuff to a more functional level than it stands
today (quite a commitment there, eh?).

Before I get started, I wanted to list the major points I see that need to be
done to make sure I'm not duplicating anyone else's efforts, or reinventing
something that's already been done. The way I see it, the following things (in
no particular order) need to be accomplished:

- integrating the configuration and building of "standard" packages into the
kernel build process so they can be part of the initramfs (packages like mdadm,
lvm2, util-linux, busybox, etc.)

- modifying the existing kernel start-up code to either remove, or just disable,
code that is being moved into userspace (partition reading, md startup, etc.)

- document the entire process and how it is intended to work

If I've missed any major points, please speak up. If there are existing
documents out there, beyond the initial initramfs specs and formats (which is
all I found googling), that describe the way the new boot process is expected to
be done... that would be a good start.

Basically, I'm here to do whatever I can. Let me know where you think I should
start.