[klibc] initramfs as an initrd replacement

Rogelio Serrano rogelio at smsglobal.net
Tue Oct 21 11:50:08 PDT 2003

--- Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:14, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

Please use a mailer that wraps your lines properly.

> Well i read through the code and see that initramfs is being run by default. I configured out initrd and still im seeing nothing but of course populate_root() is always run. I will try customising my own initramfs archive and see what happens.

You'll need to patch the kernel so that it doesn't try to mount a root
device on top of initramfs, or you'll never get to execute anything
inside of the initramfs filesystem.

i used the test8-mm1 patch. boot dies with a "no cpio header message".

i did:
find . | cpio -H crc -ov | gzip -9 > initramfs_data.cpio.gz

dir is in my uclibc/busybox root dir i used to generate my cramfs initrd  images from.

im using gcc 3.3.1 and binutils-2.14

> Using initrd even with -mm patches just dont work with cramfs anymore.

I've had no problems with ext2-based initrd.  If you're having problems
with cramfs, you should report them.  I don't recall seeing anything on
lkml.

	<b

will do after i test with ext2.