[klibc] problems with ipconfig command (no static config possible)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 19 10:05:14 PDT 2004

> ipconfig has at least 2 bugs.
>
> 'ipconfig all' will not work with any kernel. It uses the SIOCGIFCONF
> ioctl, which returns only interfaces in the UP state. So its almost
> useless for early boot because no interface is up at this time. I'm not
> sure if there is an ioctl to retreive all available interface names. I
> implemented a 'ls -A /sys/class/net/' like lookup in the patch below.
>
> This fixes 'ipconfig all', it looks now for all ethernet devices.
>
> Another bug is the broadcast handling, the broadcast address is not
> setup correctly. I dont have a patch for it right now, but I will try to
> provide a fix.

Hi, I have applied your patches, modulo I used the flags-based detection
instead of the type-based one.  I've pushed out a new klibc 0.162 but I
haven't really had a chance to test out the changes (unfortunately I
have to run off this morning), so if you guys could verify that it works
I'll either fix it or move it to Stable.