[klibc] Newbie Question

steve steve at itsage.com
Fri Dec 24 15:09:31 PST 2004

Hello,

   I'm attempting to convert some of my existing initrd images to the
new initramfs format.  However, I have some questions as too what
exactly /init in a iniramfs system is responsible for?  My current
images probe/configure devices using devfs and libkudzu (basically, the
same as knoppix detection setup) and create a tmpramfs root for use with
pivot_root.  However, looking thru prepare_namespace, it appears that MD
arrays need to be detected/fired up as well as the root changed.  Would
my /init need to do something to startup MD arrays ?  Can I still just
mount devfs on /dev as I do in the initrd images or do I need to do some
lower level setup first?

  I'd also LOVE the ability to 'chain' initrd images - I use the gentoo
splashboot stuff, and its a nuisance to recompile the kernel just to
change the theme (themes are stored as part of the initramfs) so I'd be
passing the initramfs via 'initrd=' on the command line.  However, that
means I can't specifiy different initrd .... so it would be nice to be
able to specify both on the command line, or to chain from the initramfs
to a initrd image.  Can I do this just by adding something like
MY_INITRD= foo on the boot line, then mounting the initrd on a ramdisk
from inside the initramfs and handing off to the initrd when I'm done ?
Or is it still too early in the boot process for that ?

Steve