[klibc] Newbie Question

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Sun Dec 26 02:51:11 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 10:27:59PM -0800, steve wrote:
> Heh - thats another problem I'm having - _where_ am I in the boot
> process when the initramfs takes over ?

I think the same place that init would normally be run if you didn't
have an initramfs or initrd.

> It appears I have access to /sys and /proc - but MD devices haven't been
> initialized yet ?  Is devfs available via a simple 'mount devfs /dev' -
> or do I have to do some sort of initialization first ?

That would depend on your kernel configuration.  Obviously if md
devices are compiled as modules, you'll have to load the modules
yourself.  Even if the drivers you need are compiled in, you might
need to do some userspace set-up to bring the devices on-line -- for
example the vgscan/vgchange operations if you're using LVM.

devfs should be available for mounting if it's compiled in, though
devfsd might not be running yet.

                                                  -Dave Dodge