[klibc] Update ash-port to NetBSD-1.6.1

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Fri Jul 16 10:19:25 PDT 2004

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this patch updates the ash-port of klibc to that one found in
>> NetBSD-1.6.1 instead of the horribly old one currently used. It's a
>> bit longish (appearently there has been some work done between 1993
>> and today), but now it's even useable on 64-bit systems :-).
>> Plus I've added some nice-to-have builtins, e.g. printf.
>>

> I have received at least one contribution for this, but it nearly
> doubles the size of what is already the largest binary, by far, in the
> klibc distribution, almost three times the size of the library itself.

Yep, I know ('twas from Olaf Hering, right ?). Nevertheless, both should
be close if not identical.

> I think it needs to be cut down in size to something closer to the
> original.

Ok, I've stripped the new ash of all new features, so that now the old
and the new version are identical in respect to the supported commands.
Only two minor things:
- 'type' is a new command (that was too ingrained within the shell
itself so it couldn't readily stripped out)
- 'lc' is gone (I've no idea what it did in the first place, so it
should not be a big deal)

Doesn't help much with the patch, though; uncompressed it's still some
600k. Nevertheless this update should be done as the old ash wasn't even
64-bit clean.

And it would cut down our patch-list for klibc by quite a bit :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
Dr. Hannes Reinecke			hare at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG				S390 & zSeries