[klibc] klibc integrated in the kernel

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Sat Jul 24 22:44:35 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:08:18PM -0700, hpa at zytor.com wrote:

> Linus has pretty clearly stated that for klibc to be integrated it needs
> to provide actual functionality, i.e. kernel code has to be removed (this
> should presumably be a separate set of patches in a patchset, but still.)
> The obvious candidates are ipconfig/nfsroot; I will spend some more time
> getting the ipconfig/nfsroot klibc utilities to work properly -- I've
> already done a fair bit of debugging, but I need a better test setup.
>
> I think we're getting pretty close to where we need to be, so with kbuild
> integration we should have something pretty soon.

I had to add kinit & friends already now. So I have used the 0.152 versions.
So far with following directory layout:

usr/lib  <= klibc
usr/kinit <= kinit
usr/kinit/nfsmount
	nfsmount is built as an executable and a built-in.o file.
usr/kinit/ipconfig
	Same comments as for nfsmount

Are there any need for nfsmount.a (besides kinit)?

I do not include the tests in klibc/tests, and the MAkefile support are deleted.

What about the include files?

kernelsrc/include/klibc?
- This is where users are used to find headers anyway.

kernelsrc/usr/include?
- To make is clear this is about early userspace

kernelsrc/lib/include <= today, but hidden too much.
- Header are for a user more important than implementation.

Preferred alternative listed first..

	Sam