[klibc] Re: klibc structure in the kernel

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Fri Jul 30 23:48:24 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:26:24PM -0500, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> >Hi all.
> >
> >Proposal for directory structure in the kernel:
> >
> >usr/include			<= _all_ include files
> >usr/include/{net,sys,..}
> >usr/include/arch/$(ARCH)	<= arch specific include files
> >*1
> >
> >usr/klibc			<= klibc files
> >usr/klibc/arch/$(ARCH)		<= arch specific config and files
> >				   except include files
> >
> >usr/kinit			<= program integrated in the kernel
> >usr/kinit/nfsmount		<= used by kinit, and stanalone
> >usr/kinit/ipconfig		<= as do
> >*2
> >
> >*1
> >Combine all header files in a single tree with an arch specific
> >place when relevant.
> >

> Looks like it's already well integrated to me?

The linux kernel have traditionally combined files by usage more than
by architecture.
All architecture specific headerfiles are in include/asm-$(ARCH)
Many architecture specific drivers are in drivers/..

Having all header files in one place also makes it easier to grep them all,
Think of this from a user perspective, where the other arch bits are
of much less relevance than the headers.

A naive user would expect to find all include files in one place,
and not hidden somewhere under a directory full of .c files.

	Sam