[klibc] Register parameters are unsafe with gcc 3.3.2

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 7 14:37:08 PDT 2004

>  arith_lex.o   12464
>       exec.o   13028  11060
>       eval.o   19336  15976
>     expand.o   23572  14952
>       jobs.o   23932  12480
>     parser.o   25784  20836
>           sh  119640  71624
>
> I will look at it, but not before July.
> And the question is, what should klibc sh do for us? Just a dumb /init helper, or more?
> mail, kill and alias is not really needed, but test and possible printf is.

test is obviously essential; printf is really nice to have in certain
circumstances, as is arithmetic (the other thing which seems to be bloating it
up), but it's certainly not essential.  jobs.o, expand.o and var.o have really
grown - might be something there.

My option of klibc sh is that it should be a tool to make early userspace
scriptable.  Realistically speaking it's the only way we're going to be able
to tell people to customize things themselves, and the ability to customize is
one of the things which makes early userspace a major leap forward; right now
it's all but impossible to tell people to do anything sane with nfsroot, for
example, if the kernel doesn't do what they want it to, but it's easy to ask
people to put in a shell script to do what they need it to.