[klibc] initrd / initramfs future
christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Wed Sep 15 00:41:36 PDT 2004
I would like to know if initrd is here to stay, now that klibc and
initramfs are ready.
As the multipath-tools maintainer, I'm facing the choice to
1) put the multipath configuration tool in the initrd
* dynamic binary is possible
* storage hba drivers as modules loaded
* no klibc limitations (no mntent for libsysfs ...)
2) put the multipath configuration tool in the initramfs
* small static binary
* storage drivers must be compiled static ?
* udev available ?
Putting it this way, it seems the initrd is the right place for stuff
like lvm2, multipath, mdadm ... but I'd like to be sure before dropping
the provisional klibc support in the tools.
More information about the klibc