[klibc] initrd / initramfs future

Olaf Hering olh at suse.de
Wed Sep 15 22:50:24 PDT 2004

 On Tue, Sep 14, christophe varoqui wrote:

> Putting it this way, it seems the initrd is the right place for stuff
> like lvm2, multipath, mdadm ... but I'd like to be sure before dropping
> the provisional klibc support in the tools.

I would like to see a way to construct a general purpose initramfs image
that fits everyones need. It should also be part of the normal kernel
build process.
Whats really missing right now:
* UUID and LABEL detection in klibc mount, libblkid and libuuid from
  e2fsprogs should be part of klibc mount
* all the root on raid, lvm, evms should be sorted out. you are the one
  who can implement it.
* fsck for jfs, its probably the only root filesystem that requires
  manual fsck

All this requires glibc right now in our initramfs image. Once we have
klibc support for all the common root filesystem stuff, it can be part
of kbuild in one or another way.

The whole topic will give a larger thread than reiserfs, bk and cdrecord
together. So I will better shut up now and implement it, one day...

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG