[klibc] initramfs howto

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at ciphirelabs.com
Wed Aug 10 05:16:04 PDT 2005

what about:
the binaries in your initramfs can be linked to any libc
and both shared and static linking will work fine. however
if you seek limited functionality for your initramfs and
want it to be integrated in the kernel binary, a special
libc like klibc will work well and keep the result small.

for external initramfs files you can choose any libc,
klibc will give you a small initramfs, but requires
the programs to be compiled and linked against it.
the usual glibc will also work and provide all the
features glibc has and allow you to use standard
applications without special recompiling or linking,
but glibc is bigger and thus needs more memory.

?

seriosly, glibc is 1.2 MB on my hard disk.
many appliances these day have 32 or 64 MB ram,
so spending one MB on glibc is not a big deal
I think, compared to possibly many hours people
might spend to port application XYZ to other libc.
(sorry, I have no idea how easy it is to port to
klibc/ulibc/dietlibc, but even simple recompiling
and repackaging and maintaining something on your
own, those all take time.)

> "Userspace programs need a C library, but using glibc would lead to
> (comparatively) large binaries, thereby increasing the kernel image size."

I think the text should be balanced to give the disavantage (big)
as well as the advantage (huge feature set, no need to recompile or relink).

Regards, Andreas

--
------------------------ [ SECURITY NOTICE ] ------------------------
To: daniel at dthaler.de, klibc at zytor.com.
For your security, aj at ciphirelabs.com
digitally signed this message on 10 August 2005 at 12:17:18 UTC.
Verify this digital signature at http://www.ciphire.com/verify.
------------------- [ CIPHIRE DIGITAL SIGNATURE ] -------------------
Q2lwaGlyZSBTaWcuAVdkYW5pZWxAZHRoYWxlci5kZSwga2xpYmNAenl0b3IuY29tAGFqQ
GNpcGhpcmVsYWJzLmNvbQBlbWFpbCBib2R5AHAEAAB8AHwAAAABAAAATvD5QnAEAABqAw
ACAAIAAgAghZSFWfYeisbzljA2qz+9FGrRjKrLtBrgUie1aQqxAIcBAFxY4npAnfA18dO
ZSdJF/KrhYaAgetZ31TP/j/rFyoe9HIy2EhcKOEq8aIPjIcTw67bsIc3NoUJyTpFjxBGF
99JnU2lnRW5k