[klibc] Query on Using initramfs

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at ciphirelabs.com
Thu Feb 3 06:22:09 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 15:17, Rachita Kothiyal wrote:
> In this case, what state will the system be in when the control goes to the
> initramfs?
> As in, the kernel image wouldnt have been executed at all? How early in the
> bootup are we?

as far as I know there is no difference.
The only thing missing is do_basic_setup() call
as documented here: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Initramfs

so nearly everything is already up, but you can for example
provide firmware to drivers that need one. hotplug is not
yet available. If in doubt, please read the related code in
init/*.c (sorry, I don't know those details well myself).

Good luck!

Andreas

--