[klibc] Query on Using initramfs

Jeff Bailey jbailey at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 3 04:56:40 PST 2005

Le jeudi 03 février 2005 à 13:40 +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus a écrit :

> in the wiki you wrote:
> > This unpacking happens before do_basic_setup is called. This means
> > that firmware files are available before in-kernel drivers load.
>
> is there any way to make the kernel execute do_basic_setup?
> If I understand the source code right, hotplug is only started
> after do_basic_setup.

I haven't gotten as far as that.  Hotplug seems to require a better
shell than klibc's ash, so I'm working on getting busybox into there at
the moment.

The plan at the moment is to use hotplug for its hardware discovery
capabilities.  That is, use it to decide which drivers to load, and make
sure all of the relevant IDE, SCSI, Filesystem, Network card and
Interface (usb keyboard, etc) drivers are available in the initrd.

I'll post more when I get a bit further.  (And assuming this mailing
list gets over its fear of my email client.. *g*)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey