[klibc] Status/future for klibc/initramfs

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jan 5 17:45:58 PST 2005

Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
> I'm wondering where things are on the roadmap for klibc and
> initramfs/early userspace.  When will everything be harmonized with the
> kernel and be the default?  What is left to do?
>
> I'm in my own little world, but I have a pretty good
> klibc/hotplug/udev/kinit early userspace that just works (for me).  It's
> taken me a bit to get things to work because I just couldn't find all
> the details and there were a few bugs/lacking features.  Better/more
> documentation would have helped me (maybe I missed it?).

The main thing missing -- and I have been working on it, but painfully
slowly, it seems -- is a kinit which is fully compatible with the
kernel.  It means replacing *everything* in and beyond
prepare_namespace() -- all of which should be doable in user space.
However, there is a ton of legacy crap in there (initrd, ramdisk
kernel build is to put the backwards into backwards compatible.

It's not particularly hard work, but it's tedious.