[klibc] Common base system for initramfs ?

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Thu Jul 28 12:49:08 PDT 2005

Hi Karl.

> I wonder if part of the reasoning behind moving klibc into the Kernel
> itself and integrating it with kbuild has to do with creating a common
> base system for the initramfs that is meant to work across all Linux
> distros?  I'm very skeptical that such a thing can be created in a way
> that would satisfy everyone, and maintained peacefully with no forks.
It is my understanding that the main rationale here is to move
functionality from kernel space to user space. So functionality usually
provided in kernel space today but that really belongs to early
userspace will be target for kernel inclusion.

So consider what is included in the kernel as core functionality, what
you add on top of this is what you use to diverge from the rest.

	Sam