[klibc] ipconfig

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu May 12 22:49:29 PDT 2005

I'm trying to get nfsroot via kinit to work, and I'm increasingly of the
opinion that the ipconfig code unfortunately is in much worse shape than
I thought.  I've tried to clean it up quite a bit, but it's still rather
messy.

Anyway, one of the thing that I think is probably broken is the handling
of "ip=dhcp" or anything else without a specified interface in the case
of a machine with more than one interface (I happen to have one such.)
ipconfig seems to treat this as "all", in the sense that it won't give
up until it has configured each and every interface.  This is, well,
problematic if one of them isn't plugged in, for example.

It seems that the kernel doesn't behave this way.  I'm inclined to
change it so that this, in effect, means "any"; meaning once one
interface is configured then let that be it.

Thoughts?