[klibc] [patch 00/12] ipconfig and nfsmount compatibility with glibc

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun May 22 10:39:22 PDT 2005

Erik van Konijnenburg wrote:

> The kinit rewrite stays a bit closer to the nfsroot.txt
> kernel documentation, does a fallback from TCP to UDP to NFSv2
> if needed, and handles only NFS: no mounting of /sys, no pivotroot,
> no searching for root file systems other than NFS.  This should
> make it play nicer with the rest of the initrd; I can post it if
> anyone has a use for this.  But I digress.

No, that's completely the wrong thing.  kinit *MUST* be a full
replacement for prepare_namespace() in the kernel; in fact, there is
lots of *MISSING* functionality.

--> INITRAMFS IS NOT INITRD <--

Say that forty-seven million times.

In fact, with a proper kinit, initrd handling can be done in userspace too.