[klibc] DASH in klibc

Herbert Xu herbert at gondor.apana.org.au
Fri Nov 4 03:54:34 PST 2005

Hi Peter:

I've finally got around to putting dash into klibc and replacing ash
with it.  The result can be downloaded from

master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/herbert/klibc.git

It passes all my regression tests apart from the exceptions that I've
noted previously due to klibc limitations (tilde expansion and ulimit).

Here are the sizes when built with gcc 4.0 on i386:

$ size dash/sh dash/sh.shared
  61553     324    5936   67813   108e5 dash/sh
  51500     256    5920   57676    e14c dash/sh.shared
$

There is still room for reduction as you can remove printf from either
utils/ or dash/.  IMHO it should be removed from utils/ since dash's
echo is simply a wrapper around printf.

I also haven't removed things like mail.c yet.  I will do another round
of removals soon.

Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert at gondor.apana.org.au>