[klibc] Rationale for hashed .so?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:43:06 PDT 2006

I'm curious, and perhaps a bit naive about this stuff.  I'd like to
know the reason for having a klibc-$HASH.so version which the shared
apps are linked against.  It makes it less simple to build a static
initramfs file list to use.
Currently, one has to read the libc.so.hash file to build the
filename, something that can't be done in a file list passed to
gen_init_cpio unless it's done in some sort of script.

Could you explain the reason for this?  Is it possible to get rid of
this hash to make it easier to work with?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron