[klibc] curious unpacking issue

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Apr 9 23:17:45 PDT 2006

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> I'm not sure when exactly this started, but currently when I specify a
> ramfs image via the initrd line in grub, kinit picks it up as an
> initrd and tries (and fails) to unpack it and run linuxrc from it.

Are you sure it's kinit that's picking it up as such?

> I'm assuming this is not the intended behavior.  Can anyone point me
> into the proper direction for unpacking an initramfs image ontop of
> the in-kernel image?
>
> Currently, I am using kernel 2.6.16.2 with klibc 1.3.2 (1.3.4 failed
> to build last I tried, so I rolled back).

If you're using a kernel with kinit, you really want to get it from my
git tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-klibc.git

... instead of mixing the standalone klibc with it.  If you're building
your own initramfs, make sure you use "cpio -H newc" to create the
initramfs.