[klibc] curious unpacking issue

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Apr 10 08:49:02 PDT 2006

Aaron Griffin wrote:

> Well, I kind of misspoke.  Let me rephrase a tad - I'm planning on
> replacing an initrd boot scheme with an initramfs one, but not
> 1-for-1, rather it would be 'nicely' designed, taking advantage of the
> overwriting scheme.
> I guess the "soon as possible" mention really has to do with getting
> it working in the vanilla kernel, as I am unsure on the timeline for
> inclusion.  Once klibc is moved to -mm, it should be quicker to move
> to the vanilla kernel.
>
> For now I will attempt with the git tree.  Assuming this works, I may
> end up diff-ing the init/ code for the vanilla tree, just to see where
> it stands.
>
> Yeah, I know I'm trying things that haven't been tested, but, in a
> way, I enjoy that.

Heh.  It probably isn't that hard to backport to 2.6.16, but use the git
tree (which is currently based off 2.6.17-rc1) as a basis.

Anyway, the sooner we can get remaining bugs smoked out the sooner we
can get this into -mm and then into mainstream.  I think we have a
pretty good chance of getting this merged into mainstream during the
2.6.18-rc1 merge window.