[klibc] mkrootdev utility

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:27:09 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> ... except they show up in /proc/mounts, which is probably the complaint.
>
> It'd be pretty trivial to use a name if we were given one by the user
> (e.g. root=/dev/hda1).  That should cover 80% of all cases of so.  We
> could add walking the sysfs tree later, that should cover another 15% or
> thereabouts.

yeah /proc/mounts slipped my mind.  The name thing could be done simply, yes.

> However, I would prefer to defer this change until after klibc integration.

Does that include the mkrootdev utility as well? fstype doesn't really
make a whole lot of sense without a utility like this (or a bunch of
scripting), unless you're pumping out static /dev nodes.

Let me know your opinion - I can submit a different patch with the
supplied name if you like, though it would actually be less work to
change it by hand, heh.

Thanks,
Aaron