[klibc] ia64 build failure - no fork or ppoll syscalls in 2.6.16

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Apr 22 10:01:10 PDT 2006

Jeff Bailey wrote:
> Le samedi 22 avril 2006 à 09:48 -0700, H. Peter Anvin a écrit :
>> Jeff Bailey wrote:
>>> klibc fails to build on ia64 because it has neither fork nor the ppoll
>>> syscalls.  This patch marks the former in SYSCALLS.def, and puts a guard
>>> wrapper around the ppoll definition in ppoll.c
>>>
>> fork is a miss on my part, of course; IA64 has a way to fork, it's just
>> weird.
>>
>> Why doesn't IA64 have pselect/ppoll?
>
> On 2.6.16 and current git[0], asm/unistd.h has
>
> /* 1294, 1295 reserved for pselect/ppoll */
>
> so I suspect it's coming.  I'm not tied into upstream development for
> ia64 enough to know why it's not there yet.

OK, that's good.  I wonder why they didn't just hook it up, but the IA64
port is full of API anomalies anyway; extra problematic since I don't
have access to any Itanic systems.

Anyway, I broke your patch in two and applied it.  It was of course a
miss to work on systems without pselect, but not without ppoll :-/