[klibc] klibc tree status

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:27:19 PST 2006

On 2/12/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> I have just pushed out a git tree which actually has the root-mounting
> code removed from the kernel.  Since there are any number of strange
> boot configurations out there, I would really appreciate any help in
> testing this stuff out.
>
> I have *NOT* implemented support for the following, which I'm hoping has
> fallen out of use by now:
>
>         -> Setting boot flags via rdev, as opposed to on the command
>            line
>         -> When loading the ramdisk from a block device, stop and
>            ask the user for a second disk.  This one could probably
>            be implemented without too much trouble if people actually
>            care.
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-klibc.git
>
>         -hpa

In a matter of days I will try this, and push an experimental kernel
for Archlinux, allowing users with obscure configurations to test
this.  This way, I'd hope to get a decent chunk of testing in there
for you (no, I won't forward you errors on my part, heh).

Just a note, this image will contain modules needed to access the root
device, which will be loaded via sysfs cruft before calling kinit.  I
have been planning on replacing the default Archlinux kernel with a
klibc enabled version for a bit, but haven't had the time to
completely script everything.  So, with the advent of a fully
functional kinit, my job becomes trivial.

Thanks alot for all your work, and I'll try to get you as much testing
data as I can.

Aaron Griffin