[klibc] inclusion of alias handling in klibc insmod

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:29:11 PST 2006

On 1/27/06, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 03:40:25PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > Just curious if anyone has done anything similar, as I'd rather not
> > reporduce work.  I'm going to put alias handling (and only alias
> > handling) into a modified version of insmod.  The reason I'm doing
> > this is to aid in boot time module loading via aliases exposed in
> > sysfs.  Sure, I could include modprobe directly in the initramfs, but
> > it's a bit large, and I really only need alias resolution, not the
> > other parts of the syntax.
>
> How will thie alias resolution handle the need to load dependant
> modules?  That's why this is done in modprobe instead of insmod.

In addition to the alias additions, parsing modules.dep is trivial.  I
was planning on adding that as well.

Do you see this as unnecessary?  Adding modprobe to the initramfs is
fine, but it uses a handful of glibc specifc functions - well,
rephrase, posix functions not included in klibc - for instance
fnmatch.

I could just create modprobe in it's entirety for klibc, if that
sounds more feasible/logical.

Thanks for your input,
Aaron