[klibc] inclusion of alias handling in klibc insmod

Vassilis Virvilis vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr
Sun Jan 29 13:43:53 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>> I should look at the fnmatch() and getopt_long() patch again... I
>> can't remember why I rejected it, and that's a good sign I should
>> really look at it again.
>>

> Just looked at it again; the code you submitted is under the old-BSD
> license with the advertisement clause, which does *not* read University
> of California (rather, it reads NetBSD Foundation), which means it's
> still in force, and we can't use the code.

I didn't know it matters that much. I took it from the (Free?)BSD libc cvs branch
(IRC) and trimmed it a fair bit. I thought if it was under BSD license it would be
good enough for klibc. I didn't know the difference you talk about. You would like
something like this right?

Note: The advertising clause in the license appearing on BSD Unix
files was officially rescinded by the Director of the Office of
Technology Licensing of the University of California on July 22
1999. He states that clause 3 is "hereby deleted in its entirety."

Anyway I don't know what to do. The free libc-s I know are
klibc		BSD
dietlibc	GPL + other option
uclibc		LGPL
Gnulibc		LGPL
BSDlibc		BSD + clause?
cygwin newlib	GPL + commercial option

It is very probable that the function needs a full rewrite or
asking explicit permission from the original Authors.

       .bill