[klibc] inclusion of alias handling in klibc insmod

Vassilis Virvilis vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr
Mon Jan 30 06:41:12 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Vassilis Virvilis wrote:

>> It is very probable that the function needs a full rewrite or
>> asking explicit permission from the original Authors.
>

> Either of which would be fine with me, of course.  It's not like a
> hugely complex task.
>
>     -hpa

I am not going to rewrite it but I will try to reach the original authors.
Now, would be
  -Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller -> courtesan. com>
sufficient? or should I also try to reach
  -Dieter Baron and
  -Thomas Klausner

I am thinking to send something like the text below. Given I am not native
english speaker I would appreciate any guidance, especially if you think
the letter is not polite enough, or insulting in any way.

-------
Dear sir,

I am trying to port getopt_long in klibc. Klibc is a very small linux only
libc oriented for "early user space programs" and other embedded uses.
Klibc itself is licensed under BSD. I have adapted the code found in BSD
cvs repository but the klibc maintainer feels that the license of the original
getopt_long.c and the rest of the klibc are incompatible due to the
"advertising clause"

So I am asking you if you allow the modification of getopt_long.c in order
to fit the klibc needs along with the following addition in the preamble

Note: The advertising clause in the license appearing on BSD Unix
files was officially rescinded by the Director of the Office of
Technology Licensing of the University of California on July 22
1999. He states that clause 3 is "hereby deleted in its entirety."

Thank you in advance

   Vassilis Virvilis