[klibc] Re: Exporting which partitions to md-configure

Kyle Moffett mrmacman_g4 at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 17:43:01 PST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 20:10, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Monday January 30, hpa at zytor.com wrote:
>> Any feeling how best to do that?  My current thinking is to export
>> a "flags" entry in addition to the current ones, presumably based
>> on "struct parsed_partitions->parts[].flags" fs/partitions/
>> check.h), which seems to be what causes md_autodetect_dev() to be
>> called.
>
> I think I would prefer a 'type' attribute in each partition that
> records the 'type' from the partition table.  This might be more
> generally useful than just for md.  Then your userspace code would
> have to look for '253' and use just those partitions.

Well, for an MSDOS partition table, you would look for '253', for a
Mac partition table you could look for something like 'Linux_RAID' or
similar (just arbitrarily define some name beginning with the Linux_
prefix), etc.  This means that the partition table type would need to
be exposed as well (I don't know if it is already).

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw
knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.