[klibc] [WIP] klibc for m68k

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 30 20:00:10 PST 2006

Kyle McMartin wrote:
> m68k is the only debian arch still lacking a klibc port... So I started
> working on this tonight, despite not knowing anything about the m68k.
>
> Puzzling out the details, and disassembling things, I've at least
> got a syscall.c that looks like it might work. I don't really have time
> to do this bring up, but maybe someone else would like to finish the
> work.
>
> I guess this needs at least, setjmp/longjmp, crt0, and sysstub.ph
> to be useful. If nobody steps up in the next little while, I'll see
> what I can do.
>
> The usefulness of all this is very debatable, but might as well
> have a complete set of ports.

Completeness is a good thing.  I spent a whole lot of time dragging up
all kinds of obscure hardware and trying to nurse it to the point where
I could do klibc debugging, just to find that I spent a lot more time
keeping the machines going and their development environments working
than I could actually spend working on the code.  The half-life of these
old machines just isn't very good -- even my UltraSPARC 2 gave up the
ghost :(

It would be a lot easier if there were sane emulators for more
architectures.  Do you know if there is any m68k emulators which run Linux?