[klibc] symlinks and initramfs (was klibc-1.2.1: kinit works...)

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Mon Jan 30 23:11:55 PST 2006

On Mon Jan 30 08:56:06 PST 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> That being said, there is no reason that you can't run code before it;
> to make that simpler, in fact, I'm trying to set it up so that the
> default initramfs looks like:
>
> /dev/console
> /dev/zero
> /dev/null
> /kinit
> /init -> /kinit

I would request we not put in symlinks.  The problem is that they are
difficult to override.  Loading a later cpio has the effect of
(attempting to) write over the current target of the symlink.  There is
no "remove existing file or directory" entry in cpio.  This and the
fact that initramfs only extends files are the two biggest limitations
I've run into during the past 3 plus years.

We would be better off with a #! script instead, although that means
the target has to accept at least the file name.

milton