[klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

Olaf Hering olh at suse.de
Tue Jul 11 11:01:26 PDT 2006

 On Tue, Jul 11, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> It's a deployment problem, arguably especially for people who
> cross-compile.  You have two major pieces of code (kernel and klibc)
> which have to be changed at the same time, with different maintainers
> and reviewers.

Why is that a problem? You cant rip code from the kernel before the main
kinit has support for that removed feature. Thats obvious.
I dont use suspend, so I dont know how the existing in-kernel code has to
look in kinit.
But for the partition discovery (the ROOT_DEV users) its likely less than
100 lines of code. And after all, root= exists. Probably not a big loss if
that code just disappears.

I dont get your point.