[klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 11 13:57:54 PDT 2006

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Does that mean "in kernel space", "in the kernel distribution" or "in memory
>> completely under the control by the kernel?"  That is really what this is
>> about.
>
> I think it's all about kernel space.
>
> Moving the default parsing to user space would add exactly _zero_
> advantage, and would add totally unnecessary complexity (ie now we need to
> make sure that hotplug does it right - and the hotplug routines suddenly
> change between the boot phase and the actual install).

There is no reason the hotplug routines should change between the boot
phase and actual install.  Please note that I didn't say "instead of
/sbin/hotplug", I said in rootfs in addition to /sbin/hotplug.

If it adds complexity, it's The Wrong Thing.  However, it seems very
strange to me to draw the boundary at the kernel-space boundary.