[klibc] [klibc 12/43] Enable CONFIG_KLIBC_ZLIB (now required to build kinit)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Jun 25 20:22:39 PDT 2006

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> After removing the private copy of zlib in kinit, we need
>> CONFIG_KLIBC_ZLIB in order to build klibc.  zlib is required in order
>> to decompress classical ramdisks.
>>
>> In the future this should maybe be made conditional on
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM.
>
>> +config KLIBC_ZLIB
>> +    bool
>> +    default y
>

> Dumb question, then:  why not make it conditional on rd now?

Mostly because I haven't yet broken down kinit in configurable chunks;
it's somewhat messy to do as long as I'm maintaining a standalone
distribution as well as the out-of-mainline kernel tree.  Not difficult
by any means, but I've wanted to avoid combinatorics and code churn as
long as I have a limited testing base (although -mm has vastly increased
it.)

It's also unclear to me if it's the right thing to omit it from the
library, ever; the only users that are affected are the ones that are
using the shared klibc and don't have any use of zlib.