[klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:30:39 PDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Jeff Bailey <jbailey at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 15:12 +0200, Roman Zippel a écrit :
>
> > So anyone who likes to see klibc merged, because it will solve some kind
> > of problem for him, please speak up now. Without this information it's
> > hard to judge whether we're going to solve the right problems.
>
> For Ubuntu, klibc could exist perfectly fine outside of the kernel -
> We're using it already and have been for about a year now.

Same for Archlinux.  The existing initrd tools are rather poor, and
are being replaced, in full, by klibc (and udev) based early-userspace
utilities.  On a personal level, I would not have a problem with klibc
existing as an external project either, but I do feel that a merge
would add some congruency to the whole situation.

> 3) Work towards removing the bootup pieces from the kernel that aren't
> used anymore, reducing duplication, crufty in-kernel pieces, yada, yada,
> yada...

Yeah same here.  I have nothing to add to this beyond the typical "XYZ
doesn't belong in kernel-space" banter that is commonly seen.  I have
nothing to add, just wanted to pipe up.  Feel free to ignore me.

On a side note, Roman, I do think this is a warranted and needed
discussion, so thanks for bringing it up.  I feel klibc/kinit is
worthwhile, but I don't see a whole lot of concern from many others.
Thanks for starting this.

G'day,
Aaron Griffin
aaron at archlinux.org