[klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 30 16:15:10 PDT 2006

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> [klibc/kinit in kernel]
>> I'd like to eventually move swsusp out of kernel, and klibc means I
>> may be able to do that without affecting users. Being in kinit is good
>> enough, because I can actually share single source between kinit
>> version and suspend.sf.net version.
>
> Heh.  Take a look at anyone who's using real initramfs for their boot
> process.  Not initrd, not kernel-without-any-preboot-fs, but real
> initramfs.  For them, if kinit/klibc will be in kernel, nothing changes,
> because their initramfs *replaces* in-kernel code and future supplied-
> with-kernel-klibc-based-kinit.  So if you'll move swsusp into kinit,
> it WILL break setups for those users!.. ;)

There are two ways to deal with this.

Either the kernel can unconditionally invoke /kinit, which then would
invoke the users /init if present, or the swsusp can be a separate
initramfs binary which the user's initramfs gets to invoke (the second
is arguably neater, but requires minor changes to the users initramfs.)

Either way, it's a trivial problem to solve.