[klibc] klibc: s390 errno...

Heiko Carstens heiko.carstens at de.ibm.com
Tue May 2 01:06:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:53:04AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Heiko Carstens wrote:
> >>
> >>The former is clearly right and the latter is clearly wrong.  Should I change the s390x version to match s390?
> >Looks like the right thing to do. Even though -125 seems to be wrong since we
> >have already
> >#define ENOTRECOVERABLE 131     /* State not recoverable */
> >Testing against -4095 is probably better.
>
> I like -4096 better; that way it's effectively an "error page" at the top of the unsigned space.
>
> Could you try it out and send me a patch?  I don't have access to any s390 equipment or even simulators.
>
> 	-hpa

/* Linux uses a negative return value to indicate syscall errors, unlike
   most Unices, which use the condition codes' carry flag.

   Since version 2.1 the return value of a system call might be negative
   even if the call succeeded.  E.g., the `lseek' system call might return
   a large offset.  Therefore we must not anymore test for < 0, but test
   for a real error by making sure the value in gpr2 is a real error
   number.  Linus said he will make sure the no syscall returns a value
   in -1 .. -4095 as a valid result so we can savely test with -4095.  */

>From glibc.. that's why I would use -4095 :)

I will send you a patch later.