[klibc] vfork support: need help on arm, parisc, s390

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 30 23:00:02 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I really want to support vfork() in klibc, mostly because uClinux *has*
to use it.  Unfortunately vfork() isn't allowed to use the stack *at
all* across the system call -- including return address -- which means
it needs an assembly wrapper on most architectures.

I have tried implementing wrappers for most architectures, but I don't
know parisc or s390/s390x well enough, and both architectures do seem to
need it.

So if you have either, I would appreciate it if you could pull the git
version of the standalone klibc tree, and implement the appropriate vfork.S.

I also need help *testing* the ARM wrapper I do have, since I currently
have no access to ARM.

As before, I have only compile-tested m68k.  I don't have an m68k box or
emulator.