[klibc] The future of klibc in the kernel

maximilian attems maks at sternwelten.at
Tue Oct 3 14:19:17 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:02:54PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Well, as of right now, both Linus and Andrew have rejected klibc in the
> kernel based on "it doesn't add anything new" (Linus) and "lack of
> interest" (Andrew).  It seems that there is little hope of getting it
> into the kernel any time soon, unless there is additional features,
> and/or people start actively asking for it.
>
> I would appreciate hearing suggestions.  The suggestions so far include:
>
> - nbd boot in kinit
> - Mount by label support
  - Mount by uuid support
    (it's on my TODO as devname is also used resume and udev creates
    the symlink anyway)
> - nfsroot over IPv6 (easy in klibc, but it requires the kernel to
>    support NFS over IPv6, which it currently doesn't.)
  - nfsroot v4
    current nfsmount is version 3, i was already asked about version 4
    support
  - module-init-tools on klibc
    (haven't tested if modprobe is already working)

> 	-hpa

someone mentioned to use dmraid on klibc.
it be cool to have long term lvm2 and mdadm on klibc.

anyway thanks for your fine work.
klibc is working fine across all debian
release archs (except ia64 static)! :)

best regards