[klibc] Userspace mounts issue

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Oct 6 19:21:17 PDT 2006

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't know if this is bug-worthy or not  It can be fixed in numerous
> places, but I think it might make the most sense to do it here....
>
> kinit uses /dev/root to mount the rootfs.  In normal userspace, this
> causes the root system to be displayed twice in apps like Nautilus, as
> /proc/mounts lists rootfs on /dev/root, in addition to the real info
> (e.g. ext3 on /dev/hda3).
>
> This is actually easilly solved by adding a /dev/root symlink to the
> real root device, but that's seems to fix the symptoms and not the
> root cause.
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how to circumvent this when using kinit?
> I have no ability to move nodes from the early-userspace /dev to
> normal userspace, as kinit claims control of all that.

rootfs is mounted by the kernel, not by kinit.  It's the only thing
moved by the root.

udev is usually responsible for creating the /dev/root symlink for the
full-fledged userspace.

By the way, this is not limited to klibc-using kernels.  Stock FC5 has,
for example:

: tazenda 3 ; cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0