[klibc] Instructions for using klibc

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Feb 4 01:19:41 PST 2007

Phil Howard wrote:
> Now that I got klibc to build, the next step is to leanr what it takes to
> compile ... and most importantly, link ... a program with klibc.  Past
> experience with the GNU toolchain tells me GCC will be a bit of a trouble
> maker in this, probably trying to make inappropriate library references
> that would work fine with glibc.  I do not currently have any intent to
> make shared/dynamically linked programs.  So right now all I want to do
> is make things statically linked with klibc.  Most things will be to run
> in early user space.

If you have klibc installed ("make install" or equivalent), you should
be able to use the "klcc" wrapper script to gcc.  It takes pretty much
the same parameters as gcc.

> So what are the already known best steps to compile one or more .c programs
> correctly with gcc (hopefully a way that works with all versions from 3.0
> to current) and link to klibc, either as one command or as separate commands
> that could be in a script or a Makefile.  Currently this will be for the x86
> architecture, but I soon want to do this for other architectures, including
> doing so as cross compilations.

3.0 is quite ancient; I'm not sure something that old will work.  3.2.3
I think it's the oldest one I've tried.

> I cannot find a web page for klibc info.  If there isn't one I overlooked,
> I would be willing to host one, filling it in with info as I learn it and
> as answers and suggestions are provided.

I should probably set up a klibc wiki.  I can get a wiki set up, but
getting help populating it would be highly appreciated.