[klibc] [RFC] klibc add minimal mntent.h

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jul 23 06:02:13 PDT 2008

maximilian attems wrote:
> belows patch is a first step towards a mntent.h
> we'll need it anyways later for mdadm support.
>
> it allows to compile util-linux-ng mount against klibc.
>
> due to the missing features there is a severe size difference:
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    1507       0      40    1547     60b /usr/lib/klibc/bin/mount
>   58526    2544    4552   65622   10056 ~/src/util-linux-ng/mount/mount

See, this is exactly the reason for having a minimal mount rather than
fullblown util-linux-ng stuff...

When we're talking about making it 30 times bigger, there better be
motivation for *everything*.  It doesn't really make sense to have a
minimal klibc and then compile full-fat utilities against it, at least
not without providing alternatives.

But in the case of mount(8), there is a whole bunch of stuff that
definitely are not needed in a klibc-style environment, especially now
when NFS mountd stuff has moved into the kernel.